Frequently Asked Questions
Perils insured against include Fire, Hail, Lightning, Smoke, Vandalism, Water, Flood and Windstorm. Burglary is covered, provided it is a result of forced entry into a properly locked storage space. There is also limited coverage for vermin and fungus* with a $250 sublimit for each. This is not a complete list. *No sublimit for fungus in NY. Please click on the link below for a sample of the Certificate of Insurance to review all of the perils insured.
Motor vehicles are covered for property damage only for the covered perils listed on the certificate. The vehicle must be within the four walls of a locked storage unit to be covered, subject to the insured limit of the unit, and will be valued on an Actual Cash Value basis.
$250 of coverage is provided for damage caused by Vermin to covered property, provided no ingestibles are stored in your storage unit.
No, the maximum limit available under this program is $5,000.
Premium is paid along with your storage rent monthly. You can get more information on payment options by visiting your storage facility.
The term “Burglary” means the act of stealing property by forcible entry into the storage space described on your Rental Agreement and must be evidenced by visible signs of forced entry. However, this coverage only applies when such storage space is securely locked at the time of the forcible entry. A missing lock or the presence of a lock different than the lock placed by you on the storage space is not sufficient, standing alone, to establish forcible entry. In the event of a Burglary Claim, you will bear the burden of proof to establish that a Burglary has occurred.
This is as opposed to Theft or Mysterious Disappearance, for which there is no distinction that there be evidence of visible signs of forced entry into a securely locked storage space. Theft and Mysterious Disappearance are not covered under this policy.
When you purchase insurance from us, in the case of a Claim, you are responsible for the first $100 of any loss. This is your deductible. The insurance company will compensate you, based on the Terms and Conditions, for any amount above this $100 deductible. You will not be requested to make any payment to Sedgwick, the claims administrator.
Your insurance premium is due on the first of each month. You will receive a Notice of Cancellation if your premium has not been received by the 20th of the month. This cancellation will be effective on the 45th day if premium is not received.
If you make your insurance premium payment prior to the 45th day, your account will be made current.
If you do not make your insurance premium payment by the 45th day, your insurance coverage is cancelled. In order to re-purchase the insurance, you will need to complete a new Insurance Application. You can review this form by clicking on the link below.
You can complete this at your storage facility office.
In order to re-purchase this insurance, you will need to complete a new Insurance Application. You can review this form by clicking on the link below.
You can complete this at your storage facility office.
Coverage cancels automatically when you move out of your storage unit.
Coverage also cancels when you do not pay the premium.
Your rental agreement requires you to have insurance on your goods in storage. One option is the Savvy Storage Insurance Program. In order to cancel the Savvy Storage Insurance Program, you must certify that you have some other form of insurance covering the property in your space. Click below in order to complete this.
Once you have completed the confirmation, the Savvy Storage Insurance Program will cancel at the end of the first rental month, or if after the first rental month, it will terminate on the following monthly due date. Cancellations after the first of each month are subject to a minimum premium. Any prepaid insurance will be refunded.
If you terminate your lease with your storage facility, your insurance will cancel on that date, or
If you have not paid your monthly premium, your insurance will cancel 45 days after your monthly premium was due, or
If you elect to voluntarily cancel your insurance through the completion of a new Insurance Application at your storage facility, your insurance will cancel at the end of that month or when your storage rental agreement is terminated, whichever comes first.
Insurance premium is billed on the first of the month. Cancellations after the first of each month may be subject to a minimum premium. Full refunds are provided for full policy months not used.
You can submit a Claim by calling the Savvy Storage Insurance Hotline toll-free at (800) 784-1290 and selecting Option 1. Representatives are available to take your Claim information and offer assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also click on the link below for information on filing a Claim or to electronically file a Claim. You will be requested to provide documents evidencing ownership of items damaged or stolen.
You can request a status of your Claim or talk to your claims adjuster by calling the Savvy Storage Insurance Hotline toll-free at (800) 784-1290 – Option 2.
You can also e-mail Claim questions or Claim documentation to [email protected]. Attachments of the following file types can be accepted: DOC, GIF, HTM, HTML, JPG, PDF, RTF, or TIF. The maximum size capacity is 25 megabytes per e-mail. To ensure a timely response, please include your Claim number in the subject line of the e-mail. At this time Sedgwick cannot accept documents via Dropbox™.
- Secure your property and protect it from sustaining further damage.
- Notify your property manager (especially if there is damage to the building).
- Report break-ins to local police in order to file a police report.
Report a Claim
- Report your Claim in one of two convenient ways:
- Call the Savvy Hotline toll-free at (800) 784-1290 and select Option 1 to report a Claim. One of our customer service representatives will take your Claim information and offer assistance, or
- To report a Claim electronically, click on the link below to access the MySedgwick New Claim reporting site.
- You will be required to enter the following Client Access Code: 9637GlobalIntake!
- It is helpful, when reporting your Claim by either method, to have the following information available:
- Your personal contact information
- Incident location information
- Police report case number (if applicable)
- Description of the loss
- A list of property damaged in the incident
- Once the Claim is received by Sedgwick, you will be contacted within one to two business days by a handling examiner.
If you suffer a loss, Sedgwick will ask you for information and materials to show that you owned and stored the property claimed. Your original receipts, photographs or owner’s manuals can be used to document your Claim.
Some additional, non-exhaustive, examples of Proof of Ownership are bank records, financial records, credit card records, reprinted store receipts, owners’ manuals, warranty papers, remote controls, repair invoices and any photos you may have.
Keep these items at home or at work and not in the storage space.
- Do use covers and pad for beds and furniture to ensure they stay in perfect condition.
- Do use the right type of box for the item and don’t overload them.
- Do pack glass in protective packaging.
- Do store valuables, as well as electronics, in unmarked boxes towards the rear of your storage space or behind larger items, such as furniture and beds.
- Do leave air space around the perimeter to aid in ventilation.
- Do leave a walkway to the rear of your space for easy access.
- Do use all the space available, including the height.
- Do place frequently needed items towards the front of your storage space.
- Do keep a thorough inventory. Prepare a list of everything that you place in your storage unit. Keep this list in a safe place outside your storage facility.
- Do take photos of items, as well as photos of contents and boxes in your storage space.
- Do lock your unit. Disc or cylinder locks are recommended.
- Do insure your goods in storage against loss or damage.
- Don’t store items in plastic bags – things could mildew from lack of ventilation.
- Don’t store valuables such as deeds, money, jewelry, watches, furs, valuable papers and records, and photographs in your storage unit.
- Don’t store items that could be susceptible to temperature or atmospheric change.
- Don’t store flammable items.
- Don’t store food products and other ingestible items – this includes spices.
- Don’t lean things against the walls or directly on concrete floors.
- Don’t leave items unattended at any time outside your locked unit.
You may contact the California Department of Insurance Consumer Hotline for assistance at (800) 927-4357.
You may contact the Maryland Insurance Administration Attn: Consumer Complaint Investigation – Property/Casualty Insurance Division at 200 St. Paul Place, Suite 2700, Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: (410) 468-2000 or (800) 492-6116
TTY: (800) 735-2258
Fax: (410) 468-2334 or (410) 468-2307 (Property and Casualty)
You can contact us via email at [email protected].
You may also contact us by calling the Savvy Storage Insurance Hotline toll-free at (800) 784-1290 and selecting Option 3. Our hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, or you may leave a voicemail at any time and we will respond within one business day.
You can write to us at PSCC, Inc. in California DBA: PSCC Insurance Services Processing (CA Insurance License #0E14626), P.O. Box 25097, Glendale, CA 91221-5097.
Questions to Ask Your Insurance Agent
Most homeowners’ policies do not automatically provide this coverage and a separate endorsement must be issued, subject to insurance company approval.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program automatically provides this coverage as soon as you complete the form and pay the monthly premium.
Most homeowners’ policies only provide short-term (usually 30 days) coverage. Any extension would need to be approved by the insurance company.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program provides coverage that remains in effect for as long as you have your storage unit and pay the monthly premium.
Most homeowners’ policies will charge an additional premium to add an endorsement to provide coverage for property in storage. In many circumstances, the estimated costs could be between $1.25 to $1.75 per $100 of values.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program has an affordable premium that you can pay monthly as part of your storage bill or online.
Contents in storage are subject to your homeowners’ deductible. Most homeowners’ policies have a minimum deductible of $500 and yours could be higher.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program has a $100 deductible.
Your claims-free discount will be lost and your premium could increase. If you report multiple claims under your homeowners’ policy during a five-year period, you run the risk of your coverage being canceled.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program will not raise your premium or cancel you if you have a loss.
Most homeowners’ policies will not cover this without a specific endorsement to your policy. The business usually has to fit the model of “home-based business” and must be approved by the insurance company.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program provides coverage for business property.
Homeowners’ policies, as a rule, will not provide vermin, fungus or flood coverage for Personal Property.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program provides coverage for flood as well as $250 coverage for vermin and $250 coverage for fungus. No sublimit for fungus in NY.
Most homeowners’ policies only provide coverage for theft to property in storage.
The Savvy Storage Insurance Program provides coverage for a number of named perils including water, flood, fire, smoke, hail, lightning, windstorm, vandalism and burglary.
- †This is meant to serve as a guide only. For your actual terms and conditions, please consult with your insurance agent.
- For more information, please call toll-free at (800) 784-1290.
- Program Administrator: PSCC, Inc. in California DBA: PSCC Insurance Services Processing (CA Insurance License #0E14626). PSCC, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Public Storage.
Have more questions?
We’re here to help!